Section vs Pages

I’ve started a campaign of redoing my blog in Zola, but without a theme. I likely won’t use themes again, going forward, as theme author are inconsistent in supporting their work. I chose one where I have to compile an older version of the Zola binary to get it to work.

I’m having a devil of a time understand the difference between a section and a page. I had a small breakthrough this morning, where I realized, for example content/about/_index.md gives the meta data and content for a template in templates/about.html. I could lay out my whole site with just sections, given what I now understand, but am having a really hard time understanding how pages fit in and what a use case would be.

I’ve tried reading the relevant doc sections a couple of times, but it’s just no sticking. May anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,
~Jeff

Here’s a screenshot of the way my blog’s content folder looks. I also don’t use a theme:

Journal in this appears as a Section, ie it contains an _index.md (note the underscore). The journal section also contains sub-sections for articles, stroke and watches. Blog Is another section.

Pages, such as about-this-site, colophon, contact, index-of-pages, privacy, reading, rss-feeds and uses, all contain an index.md (no underscore) file.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Thanks…I thought this helped, but in practicing just now on my own project, I’m still not understanding the difference between pages and sections.

I could create my whole site with sections, with an _index.md in each individual folder, and never make a page. I’m still not fundamentally understanding when you would use a page vs a section.

Alright…I think I’ve got the relationship between sections and pages figured out now.

See Proposal: Deprecate sections

Looks like the difference between sections and pages is only clear to me haha

2 Likes

Nah, pretty sure I’m the obtuse one, you’re fine. I’m kinda slow sometimes, have to be things into my head step by step.