Page aliases don't appear to work with internal relative links

Having a bit of trouble in 0.16.1, and I’m sure it’s something obvious I missed. The “aliases” variable, when used in a page within a section, does not seem to be able to redirect previous links from said alias to the current page, which appears to be the intended use case (I was trying to move a page from the main content directory into a section.)

Example:
with a zola directory structured like

content
   apple.md
   plantains
      _index.md
      banana.md

and a toml block in banana.md like

+++
aliases = ["banana.md"] 
# or "@/banana.md", or "content/banana.md", or several other variations I've tried
+++

I would have expected a link [banana](@/banana.md) in the markdown text of the apple.md file to resolve in the link checker and, when clicked, redirect to the plantains/banana.md page. So far, it’s just giving me

Error: Reason: Broken relative link `@/banana.md` in apple.md

Apologies for my inexperience, and I may be misunderstanding the scope of what aliases are supposed to do, but I’m relatively new to this (although finding Zola a generally smoother experience than previous ssg’s I’ve used, thank you Keats.)

Aliases are meant to be paths, you can’t link to them with internal links. They are used if you are moving content but don’t want to delete the old URLs.

Thank you for clarifying!